Rebecca and Rosie of Honeywell Bakes are back with some chocolate gingerbread cupcakes for all your wintery entertaining. Does these look adorable?!
Chocolate Gingerbread Cupcakes
- Makes 12 Cupcakes
- Preparation 45 - 60 minutes, plus cooking time of 30 minutes
- 140g (5/8 cup or 9 tablespoons) butter
- 230g (1 cup plus 2 tablespoons) super fine sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 glass milk
- 230g (2 cups) plain (all purpose) flour
- 40g (5 tablespoons) cocoa
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 250g (2 cups) icing (powdered) sugar
- 100g (6 tablespoons ) butter at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons stem ginger syrup
- 1 tablespoon milk
- We like this gingerbread men recipe for the mini gingerbread men
- 50g icing (powdered) sugar
- Water (approximately 1 teaspoon)
1. Preheat oven to 170C (340F)
2. Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, then add eggs and milk and stir slowly until well combined.
3. Add flour, cocoa, baking powder and spices and mix well.
4. Carefully divide the mixture between 12 cupcake cakes and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the top of the cake springs back when gently pressed. Once cooked leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
5. Make the buttercream by combining butter, icing sugar, ginger syrup and milk and whisking until pale and fluffy, which should take about 5 minutes. Put into a piping bag with a star tip, and pipe onto the cooled cupcakes.
6. Mix the icing sugar and enough water to form a paste similar in texture to toothpaste. Add the water slowly, drop by drop. Put into a piping bag or bottle and add detail to your mini gingerbread men. Place on top of your cupcakes.
7. Delight the children in your family with the chocolate and gingerbread cupcakes!
The cupcakes will keep for about 5 days in an airtight tin, but if you’re not planning to eat them for a few days it’s best to put the gingerbread men on top on the day you plan to eat them. This will make sure they stay nice and crunchy.
Thank you, Rebecca and Rosie, these look so sweet, and my favorite cupcakes are chocolate cake with buttercream frosting, so I will be making these!
To learn more about Honeywell Bakes, please visit their site, shop, and Facebook page.