Virginie, from That Cute Little Cake is here with a clever craft to make your St. Patrick's Day pop (literally)!Here is a fun favor idea for St Patrick's Day! Leprechaun hat poppers!!!
Although the first couple of steps are best done by an adult, the decoration of the hats would a be a fun family project.
- Craft roll (I used a kitchen towel cut in 2 inches tubes)
- Tissue paper (green or black)
- Cardstock in green, black, and yellow
- Craft glue and small brush
- Twine or ribbon
- Your choice of candy to fill
- The printables used are from the free printable page on Catch My Party
First you need to close one of the circular ends of your craft tube.
- Cut a piece of tissue paper about an inch bigger than the diameter of the tube. Use the scissors to cut small slits all around the circle, it will make it easier to glue.
- Glue the tissue paper circle to one end of the tube with slightly diluted glue, using the brush to gently pull the paper down around the tube.
Now you need to close the other end of the tube but this time it is the "popping" end, therefore you need a handle to rip the tissue paper open when you pull.
- Cut a circle of black cardstock slightly smaller than the diameter of the craft tube. Pierce a hole in the middle (with a skewer for example) and thread the twine through. Secure the twine with a knot and you may even tape the knot to the cardstock.
- Cut a circle of tissue paper bigger than the tube, like you did in step one. Pierce it in the center and thread the twine through
- You now have a piece of cardstock on top of the tissue paper, with the twine going through
- Fill the tube with candy
- Close the tube with the tissue paper (repeat step 1), making sure the card stock is inside the tube
- You now have a popper, you just need to decorate it to look like a hat
STEP 3Cut all the pieces for the hat from the colored cardstock
- From the green cardstock, cut:
- A circle the size of the tube for the top of the hat
- A rectangle the width of the tube and long enough to wrap around the tube
- A circle about two inches bigger than the diameter of the tube for the base. Cut a hole in the middle slightly smaller than the size of the tube to make it easier to glue
- From the black cardstock, cut a 1/2 inch strip to make the belt
- From the yellow cardstock, cut the buckle